- Senior Corporate Counsel — Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation, 1992-2000.
- Legal Counsel to the Primary Aluminum Business Unit. The position required providing general advice and counsel on a wide range of commercial transactions; including construction contracts, purchasing matters, resolution of claims, and internal corporate governance.
- Legal Counsel to Kaiser Aluminum International. I assisted this group in negotiating and drafting contracts to provide Kaiser Technology technical services for the modernization of older smelters in the United States, Europe, Russia, India, and South America. This activity also includes negotiating and drafted contracts for Kaiser's proprietary microprocessor-based cell control system, including hardware sales, software licensing, and software maintenance agreements.
- Legal Counsel to the Alumina Business Unit. This group conducts mining and alumina refining operations in Jamaica, Australia, and the United States; and markets and sells reduction grade alumina to aluminum producers in the U.S. and overseas. It also produces and sells industrial grade alumina products to customers in the United States through its Kaiser Alumina Chemicals division. Services to this group included drafting product purchase and sales agreements, services agreements, consignment agreements, and providing general legal advice.
- Legal Counsel to Kaiser Center, Inc. the property manager for the 26-story Kaiser Building in Oakland, California. Services included drafting and revising leases, property sales and purchase agreements and providing daily advice on problems arising out of the operation of the building, construction of tenant improvements, and operation of the parking garage and mall.
- General Counsel — National Refractories & Minerals Corporation, 1989-1992.
National manufactures a wide range of refractory and mineral products at several manufacturing locations in the United States. I was intimately involved in all of the major activities of the company, including working closely with the President, Chief Financial Officer, and other senior staff members. The major projects included:
- Preparation of a Confidential Offering Memoranda, and issuance of additional common shares
- Negotiations with secured creditors to restructure existing loan agreements
- Negotiations for sale of equity in the Company to a European buyer
- Design and implementation of salaried reduction-in-force including a voluntary termination program
- Planning and implementing a company-wide education program leading to negotiations with labor unions to obtain wage and benefit concessions
- Negotiation of insurance claims for damage to plant facilities arising out of the Loma Prieta earthquake
- Planning and implementing activities to sell the company.
Business Attorney — Perez & McNabb, Orinda, 1986-1989.
In April, 1986, I left Kaiser Aluminum to join a small suburban firm which had a successful litigation practice and was looking to add a business attorney. I worked on a variety of general business and real estate transactions, and designed construction contract documents for a large public agency.
Legal Counsel — Kaiser International Corporation, 1984 -1986.
This company was the international sales agent for Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation, and a commodities trading company. The company had offices throughout the world. As Corporate Secretary, I acted as the in-house lawyer for the company, and was responsible for providing legal support for all company operations. I was instrumental in establishing written company policies and training materials with respect to international trading laws and regulations, and general commercial practices. My primary focus was to provide prompt, efficient and practical legal advice to support to a busy, demanding clientele of traders. Just as the company was beginning to grow, the financial problems of the parent made it necessary to close down many operations, and sell the company.
General Attorney — Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation, 1979-1986.
My first assignment was to assist the corporate real estate manager, negotiating and drafting leases and real estate purchase and sale agreements throughout the United States.
I also provided legal support to the corporate purchasing department where I assisted in negotiating long term supply agreements and major construction contracts. I was also responsible for supporting the purchasing and engineering staff in negotiating engineering design and construction contracts. As counsel for the Carbon Division, I assisted in negotiating raw materials purchase agreements and domestic and overseas sales contracts, and provided antitrust advice.
Associate Attorney — Crosby Heafey Roach and May, Oakland, 1973-1979.
General experience with real estate transactions, real estate development projects, construction contracts, pension and profit sharing plans, general corporate work, sales of businesses, and estate planning.
- University of Santa Clara: Juris Doctor, Magna Cum Laude, 1973.
Comments Editor for the Santa Clara Lawyer, law review, and authored, "California's New Household Goods Exemption and The Problem of Personal Accountability", 12 Santa Clara Lawyer, 155.
- San Jose State University: Bachelor of Arts, With Distinction, 1966.
Active in Student Government Affairs, Representative on Student Council, Treasurer and Charter Member of the Theta Iota Chapter of Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Member Phi Kappa Tau scholastic fraternity, Member Spartan Shields student honorary and service organization, and Student Justice for the Interfraternity Judicial Council.
- Captain, U.S. Army Medical Service Corps, 1967-1969.
Served as Company Commander, Fort Knox, Kentucky; and Company Commander and Personnel Officer, Nha Trang, South Vietnam.
- Married, two children; Committee Chair and Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 246, BSA; member, Lafayette-Orinda Presbyterian Church; Indian Guides; Member of the Moraga Planning Commission; member Orinda Rotary Club, 1986-1989; member Moraga General Plan Steering Committee.
Dan Dahlen, Attorney at Law
1600 School Street
Moraga, CA 94556
Telephone: (925) 376-5490
Fax: (925) 376-5450
Directions to Dan Dahlen's office